Saturday, August 21, 2010

My puppy has dry and flaky skin. Please does anyone know of any good shampoo and conditioner??

I have tried many shampoos and conditioners carried in the large chain pet stores in my area and even spoken to my vet but it seems like none of them really work. Please does anyone know of any good shampoo and conditioner?? I am considering ones by PetSilk or Royal Treatment which I know Royal Treatment is carried at Target in my area...does anyone recommend these products?My puppy has dry and flaky skin. Please does anyone know of any good shampoo and conditioner??
Here are some absolute things to consider...and trust me I have had lots of experience in this area.


First, stop bathing the dog so much. The bathing is drying out the dogs skin. You aren't giving the dogs coat time to become oily and soft.


Second, if you must bathe, use an oatmeal or tea tree oil based shampoo. They are high in moisturizers.


Third, add a little oil to the dogs food. Sunflower or flaxseed oil are great. It is much more effective to add it to the food then directly on the skin.


Final and most important, if this is an on going issue, check the food that you are feeding. Most dog foods are not a high enough quality to have the good oils that your dog needs to maintain healthy skin. Feeding vet foods or commercial ';popular'; brands like Iams, Science Diet, Purina, Eukanuba, etc are not helping because they contain numerous low grade fillers. I have worked with products like Innova, Wellness and Canidae and I can gaurantee that the majority of our customers saw immediate improvement to their pets skin and coat after using one bag, the rest saw improvements over time.


If these things do not work then there has got to be something much more wrong with your dog like a skin infection or something and you should visit the vet.My puppy has dry and flaky skin. Please does anyone know of any good shampoo and conditioner??
my dog has this problem too, we use an oatmeal moisturizing shampoo and my vet suggested giving her ';WET'; dog food from the can and a tablespoon of bacon grease 2 times a week...... I thought it was strange too, but has seemed to work for us. (my dog is 6 years old, don't know if that makes a difference or not)
stop giving so many bath that is what's doing it the shampoos are not that good i have a short hair dog and he did the same thing we keep giving baths and talk to the vet he said to stop give like 1 bath ever week or so
Vitamin E oil is what i use
Put a little cooking oil in his food
Call any vet, you will get the best answer.
try putting a SMALL amount of corn oil on her food. (1/2 teaspoon)


Over a couple of weeks, this should help. An occasional egg yolk (not the whole egg, just the raw yolk) will help, too
This may seem a little strange but you should try Johnson's Baby Shampoo. My vet reccomended it for my puppy and it worked. And it's soft and gentle on the puppy's skin.
try rubbing cod liver oil on where its flaky, then if the puppy does lick it off it won't hurt him/her, if it does lick at it it'll give him/her a shiny coat and be very beneficial to him/her. obviously dont put it around the eye area.





ps i used it on my german sheperd puppies, they had a beautiful coat afterwards
Try something with an oatmeal moisturizer

No comments:

Post a Comment